Please note: A number of other websites refer to using bentonite clay. Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our clay is stronger in its action than a lot of other clays, different in its texture and the way it behaves. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products.
This guideline has been written by our practitioner Sarah Beesley to provide a comprehensive approach. The best result is gained when the whole guideline is followed. The following information is not intended to diagnose any condition or to replace the advice of your doctor.
What are shingles?
Shingles are a painful blistering rash caused by reactivation of the varicella zoster virus, otherwise known as the chickenpox virus. It is correctly known as Herpes zoster. Chickenpox usually occurs in childhood and at the time, the virus is seeded to nerve cells including the nerves that supply sensation to the skin.
The virus remains in a resting phase in these nerve cells for years before it is reactivated and grows down the nerves to the skin to produce shingles. This can occur in childhood but is much more common in adults, especially the elderly and is likely linked to stress and nutritional depletion.
Shingles patients are infectious (resulting in chickenpox), both from the virus in the lesions and in some instances the nose and throat.
When Shingles are Active
- We recommend using Purely Earth Clay baths daily while the shingles is active. We have found this can substantially reduce the healing time and the severity of the infection. The baths are best when used for 20-40 minutes per bath. For information on how to make and use a clay bath Click Here
- Apply Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals to the shingles at night before bed by dabbing them on to the area. Let the minerals dry and then gently apply cold pressed St John’s Wort Oil to the area. The minerals and the St John’s Wort Oil help to break down the virus’ protective coating allowing your immune system to clear it faster. Therapeutic strength St John’s Wort Oil can be ordered through email@example.com.
- Support the immune function by taking 2000mg of Lysine daily. This is available through most natural health practitioners or health shops.
- Use 1500 – 2000 mg of our Liposomal Vitamin C daily.
- Use Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals internally at 2 ml daily in water or diluted juice. These provide a special balance of the essential minerals required to support the digestion, detoxification and immune systems.
- Eat lots of green and colourful vegetables and a good quality protein at least 2 times a day. We do not recommend protein-deficient diets because protein is an essential nutrient required for the immune function, repair, digestion and detoxification. If you choose to go vegetarian, get some good advice about how to get adequate protein within your diet changes. The World Health Organisation Standard is 1 gm of protein value per kilo of body weight. This means a 60 kg person requires a minimum of 60 gm of protein value per day in their diet. A palm size piece of fish for example, contains around 25 gm of protein content and 100 gm of organic tofu contains 10 gm of protein value.
- Avoid food that comes in packets. Eat food that is as close to its natural form as possible. This means it contains more nutrients and less added toxins and a better resource base for your body to use.
- Avoid any known food allergens or irritants. These cause the immune function be less efficient in controlling infection.
- Use Orac Protein and Greens Powder at 1-2 scoops daily mixed into vegetable juice or a smoothie. This is an exceptional super food powder that carries the equivalent of 12 servings of fruit and vegetables in each scoop and is an excellent way to substantially increase the levels of antioxidants and proteins available to support the healing processes. It is especially important for those who are reliant upon pre-made meals or those in full time care. It is vegetarian-friendly and is dairy and gluten free.
- Have a look at our Medicine Chest Smoothie recipe. This is a wonderful immune booster, especially when combined with 1 scoop of Orac Powder.
- Get rid of the sugar. It is known that sugar suppresses the immune function for up to 7 hours after consumption by causing the immune cells to move more slowly.
Do not underestimate the effects of stress on your body. This can be stress due to a chronic inflammatory condition (think pain, tenderness, redness, swelling or aching), being over-busy, not breathing properly, eating foods that cause you problems, a lack of sleep, dehydration, infection, loneliness, or feeling emotionally vulnerable or unsupported. Stress suppresses the immune system which is why many people get a flare-up of shingles when they are stressed and run down.
Take Steps to Nourish Yourself
- Assess what must stay in your life and what can go.
- Assess whether the things that you think must stay, nourish you or deplete you and reassess if necessary.
- Provide a quiet space in every day that does not involve electrical devices. This allows your nervous system time to unwind.
- Seek out things, animals or people that make you laugh.
- Eat mainly food that does not come in a packet. Nature knows best how to provide balance; manufactured food does not.
- Eat regularly through the day and make good food a priority, not an inconvenience to be squeezed in amongst other activities.
- Avoid inflammatory foods – things you know you are intolerant to, or which make you feel sluggish, moody, affect your bowel or cause flare-ups of a health condition.
- Move your body without the exercise stressing it further. Exercise in a way that makes you feel good, not tired. Increase the exercise level gradually as your energy level builds.
- BREATHE DEEP. Breathing deep sends a signal to your body that you are safe. Shallow or fast breathing does the opposite. Your stress glands and nervous system will respond accordingly.
- Go to sleep before 10 pm and get up before 7 am. Your body clock requires this of you even if your head says otherwise. 1 hour of sleep prior to 12 am is worth 2 hours after 12 am in terms of the rest it provides. Avoid interaction with electrical devices (phones, computers, TV, play station, X Box, iPad, iPod and the like) for 1 hour prior to sleep and remove as many electrical devices from your bedroom as you can. DO NOT sleep with a light on and cover all digital light displays in your room, or even better, remove them.
If the above guideline does not control the problem for you, we recommend you contact our practitioner Sarah to help you dig deeper. There may be other factors which are part of the picture.
For more details about working with Sarah, go to www.selfhealclinic.co.nz.
Note: Using the above information may result in a reduced need for medication due to improved nutrition. We advise that appropriate monitoring be put in place. For example: If you have high blood pressure which is being controlled through mediation, get a cheap blood pressure cuff and monitor any changes at home. If your blood pressure drops, ask your doctor to reduce your medication accordingly. If you are on thyroid medication or cholesterol lowering medication, get your blood levels tested regularly.
© Purely Earth Ltd. This document may be copied and used as a patient handout in its entirety but is not to be replicated on any other websites or publishing media either in full or part without our permission.