Please note: A number of other websites refer to using bentonite clay. Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our clay is stronger in its action than a lot of other clays, different in its texture and the way it behaves. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products.
This guideline has been written by our practitioner Sarah Beesley (MHD Hons) to provide a comprehensive approach. The best result is gained when the whole guideline is followed.
The following information is not intended to diagnose any condition or to replace the advice of your doctor.
Dandruff is usually the result of a yeast infection on the scalp and is often itchy. In severe cases it will form scaly plaques or crusts that weep, much like cradle cap which is a more extreme infection of the same yeast. It is often incorrectly called “Psoriasis” and a way to determine whether it is true Psoriasis or a yeast infection is by looking at where it grows. True Psoriasis will usually appear on more than one part of the body and usually looks like thick reddened or silvery plaques. Dandruff occurs only on the scalp and has a thinner, flakier appearance.
Dandruff is often controlled through the use of anti-dandruff shampoos. While these are useful, they are a band aid. The yeast infection should be treated from the inside out as well as topically.
The First Step
- Use a non-chemical shampoo and conditioner. Add 4 Tbsp of runny clay paste to the shampoo and mix in well. It is often easiest to remove the shampoo from the bottle, stir in the runny clay mixture and then rebottle. To make a runny clay paste mix 1 Tbsp of clay powder into 1/4 – 1/3 cup of water and let the clay dissolve into the water.
- Do a final rinse over the scalp of Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals to help with controlling the yeast and to improve the health of the skin. It is easiest to make these up by putting 2 ml of the minerals into a squeezable plastic bottle with around 150 ml of water in it. Squeeze this all over the scalp after washing the hair and leave in. Towel dry hair and style as usual.
- If the hair is short, making a runny paste of the clay as above and applying it to the head for a half hour daily will often address the issue quickly. It will also relieve itching almost immediately.
- Take activated B vitamins to support scalp health.
- Use 1500 – 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily.
Stop Feeding the Yeast
- Remove all sugar and junk food from the diet. Make the diet primarily green and colourful vegetables, fruit and quality protein foods, and reduce the amount of cereals and baked goods.
- If the dandruff is recurrent or difficult to control, use our Food and Chemical Sensitivity Test to help with identifying and removing inflammatory foods and substances.Recurrent Candida infections are more likely to occur when there are inflammatory foods in the diet.
If the Problem is Chronic
Chronic dandruff which is not relieved by the above treatment is often reflective of a yeast problem elsewhere. In this case it is recommended that a systemic cleanse is undertaken using a chitin inhibitor such as Fungal Stop .
Do not do this if you are pregnant or breast feeding; wait until you are not.
2-3 weeks of preparation should always be done to lower the amount of detox reaction that may occur when the fungus dies off internally. Failure to do the right prep can cause stress on the liver and kidneys.
As preparation for the systemic yeast cleanse:
- Do 2-3 weeks of Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals at 1-2 drops per kg of body weight for children and 2 ml for adults daily. Put into water or very dilute juice. This supports the liver channels which will have to manage the waste load from the detox.
- Take 1 generous tsp of Purely Earth Diatomaceous Earth in water or diluted juice last thing at night.
- Take Dr. Wilson’s Squeaky Clean at 1 cap 2 x daily with food. This provides probiotics and the best combination of fibres to sweep the gut lining.
- Take Dr. Wilson’s Body Guard at 15 drops 4 x daily in water away from food to reduce the populations of bad bacteria and yeasts in the gut.
- Please ensure your bowel is moving every day and seek help from our practitioner Sarah to achieve this if necessary.
After the Preparation Period
- Continue the Essential Detox Minerals, Squeaky Clean and Diatomaceous Earth.
- Use Fungal Stop to lower the yeast systemically. This part of the process should be done under the supervision of an experienced practitioner who is familiar with the use of chitin inhibitors. The total course of chitin inhibitor must be completed. In the case of chronic stubborn infection, a second course may be required.
Get the Good Oils
- Remove any margarines, butter substitutes or poor quality processed fats from your diet. Avoid foods made with vegetable oil, and for cooking use only coconut oil, olive oil or butter.
- Take 3000 mg daily of active omega 3 or 2 Tbsp of Hemp seed oil over food.
Strengthen the Immune System and Digestion
- Use Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals to provide important immune supporting and digestion-enhancing minerals. In our experience people who are susceptible to yeast infections are usually low in these minerals.
- Address any signs of weak digestion such as bloating, gas and indigestion. Betaine HCL or 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar (ACV) in water before each meal will assist with this and will improve the uptake of minerals through the digestive system. For those with a history of reflux, stomach or bowel ulcers or who are using antacid medications, we recommend an appointment with our practitioner Sarah before you try either of these.
- Take activated B vitamins to support scalp health.
For more details about working with Sarah, go to www.selfhealclinic.co.nz.
Using the above information may result in a reduced need for medication due to improved nutrition. We advise that appropriate monitoring be put in place. For example: If you have high blood pressure which is being controlled through mediation, get a cheap blood pressure cuff and monitor any changes at home. If your blood pressure drops, ask your doctor to reduce your medication accordingly. If you are on thyroid medication or cholesterol lowering medication, get your blood levels tested regularly.
© Purely Earth Ltd. This document may be copied and used as a patient handout in its entirety but is not to be replicated on any other websites or publishing media either in full or part without our permission.