Please note: A number of other websites refer to using bentonite clay. Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our clay is stronger in its action than a lot of other clays, different in its texture and the way it behaves. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products.
This guideline has been written by our practitioner Sarah Beesley (MHD Hons) to provide a comprehensive approach. The best result is gained when the whole guideline is followed.
The following information is not intended to diagnose any condition or to replace the advice of your doctor.
What Causes Acne Vulgaris?
Acne vulgaris is most commonly known as teenage acne but it can also occur in adults. In adolescence, acne is usually caused by an increase in oil production in the skin and the bacteria that feed on the oil. There are two things that increase oil production primarily. One is an increase in androgens such as testosterone; something that occurs during puberty regardless of which sex the teenager is. The other is insulin which tends to be a trigger in adults as well as teens.
Testosterone and its activity in the skin is controlled by aromatase enzymes which are controlled primarily by zinc, so a zinc deficiency will make acne worse. Uncontrolled aromatase enzymes will allow more testosterone to remain active in the skin, which in turn increases oil production. Acne is known to be made worse with diets that are high in processed and packaged foods. This is because these foods generally contain high levels of refined carbohydrates and sugar which leads to a surge in insulin and an increase in a chemical called insulin-like growth factor IGF-1. IGF-1 lifts the production of testosterone, which increases the level of oil in the skin. Sugar and refined starches also deplete the body of zinc and a number of other minerals which will serve to compound the problem.
The pimples that we know of as acne are usually a result of bacteria feeding on the excess oil or sebum produced in the skin. The more insulin and/or testosterone in the system, the more oil there will be. The more oil, the more bacteria and the worse the acne. This is compounded when there is a shortage of the necessary minerals.
See also Acne Rosacea.
The First Step
- Apply a generous film of hydrated Purely Earth Clay as a pack to the skin morning and night for the first 3 days and leave on for 30 minutes each time. Then reduce to once daily for the following week. After this, maintain at 1-2 packs per week or as needed. The clay helps to remove excess oil and waste from the skin and to “unplug” the pores. It will also help to reduce any bacterial infection present. For how to make the clay pack Click here
- Follow with Colloidal Silver spray and Purely Earth Vitamin E Cream. The same cream can be used as a makeup remover, daily moisturiser and skin balancer. This is a non-chemical natural cream that nourishes and feeds the skin and will help to soothe and heal any stressed areas of the skin surface.
- Do not over wash the skin. Ironically, being too vigilant in the face washing department will strip the skin of its oils, increasing sebum production as the skin tries to rebalance what has been removed. The best thing for the skin is a light wash of lemon juice in water with a clean flannel followed by the Purely Earth vitamin E cream. The vitamin E cream can be made into a lotion by adding water to it and used as a makeup remover and cleanser as well as a moisturiser.
- Use Purely Earth Clay internally to clean up on the inside. Just as the clay helps to clean up wastes on the outside, it does the same on the inside. Use 1 Tbsp of runny hydrated clay in the morning and 1 Tbsp at night for the first 7 days. After this, take 1 Tbsp daily. For information on using Purely Earth Clay internally Click Here
Controlling the Aromatase Enzymes
- Use Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals. We have found these to be invaluable in treating acne alongside the clay. They are a unique ionic mineral formulation which provides all of the most commonly deficient minerals required to run the digestive enzymes and liver enzymes and contain an easily absorbed form of zinc in balance with its mineral partners. Use 2ml of the liquid per day for adults and children over 10. Put into water or diluted juice.
- Support the detoxification systems further by using Milk Thistle at 2 caps 2 x daily. This usually does a wonderful job of improving hormone clearance.
- Getting a DUTCH hormone test done is advised. For more information go to https://selfhealclinic.co.nz/hormone-testing/
- If the acne is teenage acne or worse with menstruation, extra zinc is likely to be required in addition to the Detox Minerals. (High levels of zinc should not be used long term without practitioner supervision.)
- Use 1500 – 2000 mg of Vitamin C.
- Take activated B vitamins to support enzyme function and hormone clearance.
- Remove the foods that trigger the production of a lot of insulin. In our experience, this is essential. These are primarily sugary and refined foods and may include cereals that are promoted as “healthy” but which are high in sugar, bread, biscuits, cakes, muffins, pastries, lollies, ice-cream, chippies, soft drinks, energy drinks, muesli bars, snack bars, and soft white or yellow baked items. The diet is best made up of vegetables, a small amount of fruit, good quality protein foods and nuts and seeds. Any grain foods and starches are best eaten be in their least processed forms and in very small quantities.
- We strongly recommend that you get our Food and Chemical Sensitivity Test done to identify inflammatory foods and substances. This reduces unnecessary dietary restriction and can help to identify relevant sources of inflammation.
- Address any signs of weak digestion such as reflux, bloating, gas and indigestion. We recommend an appointment with our practitioner Sarah .
- Take 1-2 Tbsp of Hemp seed oil or a quality fish oil daily for omega 3 content .
- Eat lots of green and colourful vegetables and a good quality protein at least 2 times a day. We do not recommend protein-deficient diets because protein is an essential nutrient required for repair, digestion and detoxification. If you choose to go vegetarian, get some good advice about how to get adequate protein within your diet changes. The World Health Organisation Standard is 1gm of protein value per kilo of body weight. This means a 60 kg person requires a minimum of 60 gm of protein value per day in their diet. A palm size piece of fish for example, contains around 25 gm of protein content.
- Avoid food that comes in packets. Eat food that is as close to its natural form as possible. This means it contains more nutrients and less added toxins and a better resource base for your body to use.
- Make sure you drink adequate water. Your body needs this to make digestive juices and to clear acidic wastes.
- Include a small amount of Celtic or Maldon salt as part of your diet. Your body needs the chloride it provides to make digestive juices. Do not use table salt – it is high in aluminium and is lacking in trace minerals.
Do not underestimate the effects of stress on your body. This can be stress due to a chronic inflammatory condition (think pain, tenderness, redness, swelling or aching), being over-busy, not breathing properly, eating foods that cause you problems, a lack of sleep, dehydration, infection, loneliness, or feeling emotionally vulnerable or unsupported.
Take Steps to Nourish Yourself
- Assess what must stay in your life and what can go.
- Assess whether the things that you think must stay, nourish you or deplete you and reassess if necessary.
- Provide a quiet space in every day that does not involve electrical devices. This allows your nervous system time to unwind.
- Seek out things, animals or people that make you laugh.
- Eat mainly food that does not come in a packet. Nature knows best how to provide balance; manufactured food does not.
- Eat regularly through the day and make good food a priority, not an inconvenience to be squeezed in amongst other activities.
- Avoid inflammatory foods – things you know you are intolerant to, or which make you feel sluggish, moody, affect your bowel or cause flare-ups of a health condition.
- Move your body without the exercise stressing it further. Exercise in a way that makes you feel good, not tired. Increase the exercise level gradually as your energy level builds.
- BREATHE DEEP. Breathing deep sends a signal to your body that you are safe. Shallow or fast breathing does the opposite. Your stress glands and nervous system will respond accordingly.
- Go to sleep before 10pm and get up before 7am. Your body clock requires this of you even if your head says otherwise. 1 hour of sleep prior to 12am is worth 2 hours after 12am in terms of the rest it provides. Avoid interaction with electrical devices (phones, computers, TV, play station, X Box, iPad, iPod and the like) for 1 hour prior to sleep and remove as many electrical devices from your bedroom as you can. DO NOT sleep with a light on and cover all digital light displays in your room, or even better, remove them.
Using the above information may result in a reduced need for medication due to improved nutrition. We advise that appropriate monitoring be put in place. For example: If you have high blood pressure which is being controlled through mediation, get a cheap blood pressure cuff and monitor any changes at home. If your blood pressure drops, ask your doctor to reduce your medication accordingly. If you are on thyroid medication or cholesterol lowering medication, get your blood levels tested regularly.
© Purely Earth Ltd. This document may be copied and used as a patient handout in its entirety but is not to be replicated on any other websites or publishing media either in full or part without our permission.