Please note: A number of other websites refer to using bentonite clay. Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our clay is stronger in its action than a lot of other clays, different in its texture and the way it behaves. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products.
This guideline has been written by our practitioner Sarah Beesley to provide a comprehensive approach. The best result is gained when the whole guideline is followed. Please be aware that results may vary and that if you have any other pre-exisiting conditions, we advise working with a trained practitioner. The following information is not intended to diagnose any condition or to replace the advice of your doctor.
This type of burn is normally the result of radiation treatment for cancer. The following guideline can provide great relief to those undergoing radiation treatment and will help to minimise the risk of infection as well as improving quality of life.
The First Step in Treating Radiation Burns
Purely Earth Clay assists in removing wastes from the wound area and helps to draw healthy new blood into the tissue. In this way, it helps to improve the supply of nutrients and oxygen into the tissue.
- Use Purely Earth Clay as a clay pack on the burns and the surrounding tissue every night or for several hours during the day every day until the burn has gone. For how to make the clay pack Click here. It is advised that a permeable gauze be applied to the site before applying the clay if the burn is deep, although this is not essential. It just makes the clay easier to remove. The clay should be the consistency of putty and applied thickly on to the burn and the surrounding tissue. Cover the clay (where possible) with plastic food wrap to keep it moist and if practical, put a stretchy tube bandage over the plastic wrap. You can buy these from most pharmacies.
- The clay should be gently removed using warm water. Once the clay is removed, the site can be left open to the air or a light breathable bandage applied during the day. The bandage should be a single gauze layer that allows the burn to dry out and form a scab. The size of the burn will gradually shrink and the clay will help to stop infection from setting in during this process. DO NOT use topical creams on the burn.
Providing the Essential Healing Nutrients
To heal, your body needs nutrients and the ability to get them into the tissues. The digestion often needs to be supported to ensure nutrient uptake occurs as well as it can.
- Use Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals. We have found these to be invaluable in treating radiation burns alongside the clay. They are a unique ionic mineral formulation which provides all of the most commonly deficient minerals required to heal the skin and to run the digestive enzymes and liver enzymes. Use 2 ml of the liquid per day for adults and 1 drop per kilo of body weight for children under 10. Put into water or diluted juice.
- Eat lots of green and colourful vegetables and a good quality protein at least 2 times a day. We do not recommend protein-deficient diets because protein is an essential nutrient required for repair, digestion and detoxification. If you choose to go vegetarian, get some good advice about how to get adequate protein within your diet changes. The World Health Organisation Standard is 1 gm of protein value per kilo of body weight. This means a 60 kg person requires a minimum of 60 gm of protein value per day in their diet. A palm size piece of fish for example, contains around 25 gm of protein content.
- Avoid food that comes in packets. Eat food that is as close to its natural form as possible. This means it contains more nutrients and less added toxins and a better resource base for your body to use.
- Have a look at our Medicine Chest Smoothie for a tasty nutrient boost full of healing agents.
- Make sure you drink adequate water. Your body needs this to make digestive juices and to clear acidic wastes.
- Include a small amount of Celtic or Maldon salt as part of your diet. Your body needs the chloride it provides to make digestive juices. Do not use table salt – it is high in aluminium and is lacking in trace minerals.
Do not underestimate the effects of stress on your body. This can be stress due to a chronic inflammatory condition (think pain, tenderness, redness, swelling or aching), being over-busy, not breathing properly, eating foods that cause you problems, a lack of sleep, dehydration, infection, loneliness, or feeling emotionally vulnerable or unsupported.
Take Steps to Nourish Yourself
- Assess what must stay in your life and what can go.
- Assess whether the things that you think must stay, nourish you or deplete you and reassess if necessary.
- Provide a quiet space in every day that does not involve electrical devices. This allows your nervous system time to unwind.
- Seek out things, animals or people that make you laugh.
- Eat mainly food that does not come in a packet. Nature knows best how to provide balance; manufactured food does not.
- Eat regularly through the day and make good food a priority, not an inconvenience to be squeezed in amongst other activities.
- Avoid inflammatory foods – things you know you are intolerant to, or which make you feel sluggish, moody, affect your bowel or cause flare-ups of a health condition.
- Move your body without the exercise stressing it further. Exercise in a way that makes you feel good, not tired. Increase the exercise level gradually as your energy level builds.
- BREATHE DEEP. Breathing deep sends a signal to your body that you are safe. Shallow or fast breathing does the opposite. Your stress glands and nervous system will respond accordingly.
- Go to sleep before 10 pm and get up before 7 am. Your body clock requires this of you even if your head says otherwise. 1 hour of sleep prior to 12 am is worth 2 hours after 12 am in terms of the rest it provides. Avoid interaction with electrical devices (phones, computers, TV, play station, X Box, iPad, iPod and the like) for 1 hour prior to sleep and remove as many electrical devices from your bedroom as you can. DO NOT sleep with a light on and cover all digital light displays in your room, or even better, remove them.
Toxicity and Why it is Often the Start of the Breakdown
Mercury, excess copper ,cadmium and some chemicals will cause disruption to stomach acid production because they block the correct use of zinc, B1 and B6, so even if you take these as supplements they may not work as well as they should. When zinc, B1 or B6 is low or blocked, stomach acid will be low which will then affect the release of digestive enzymes from the pancreas and bile from the liver. This results in poor digestion throughout the gastro-tract and less efficient clearance of toxins through the production and release of bile from the liver.
When insufficient stomach acid and enzymes are produced, the minerals required for healthy digestion are not absorbed as well, food is not digested properly and can start to ferment and putrefy in the stomach and digestive tract. The resulting fermentation and putrefaction can cause symptoms such as food intolerances, indigestion, reflux, irritable bowel, bloating and gas due to an overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria and yeasts in the intestinal tract. These can then cause inflammatory responses, increased permeability of the intestinal walls and abnormal immune function which may then lead to a myriad of complaints including hay fever, aches and pains, oestrogen dominant hormonal conditions such as fibroids and endometriosis, an overloaded detoxification system, food and chemical sensitivities, skin conditions, erratic bowel function, lowered immunity and yeast infections outside of the gastro-tract, mood imbalances, headaches, brain fog, fatigue etc…
If a cancer patient has had a history that includes a number of the above symptoms, we would advise getting a Metal and Mineral Test done to enable correction of the nutrient levels in the tissues. It is also wise to do a full bacterial and fungal cleanse. This work should always be done under the supervision of an experienced practitioner like Sarah where a cancer patient is involved.
© Purely Earth Ltd. This document may be copied and used as a patient handout in its entirety but is not to be replicated on any other websites or publishing media either in full or part without our permission.