This alkalising and nourishing smoothie can change your health in a matter of days! We recommend making a large batch of it each morning for the whole family, varying the fruit according to the season. In summer for example, use paeches and nectarines instead of apples and pears. The fruit is a rich source of fibre and is packed with antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins and minerals. The greens offer powerful detoxifying plant chemicals found in no other foods. Ginger is a wonderful anti-inflammatory and improves circulation. The lemon offers Vitamin C and bioflavonoids. This smoothie is way better than juicing because you waste nothing. And, it tastes GREAT!
The recipe below will fill a Vitamix blender, so if you are using a standard blender, halve the recipe.
2 apples cored and chunked.
2 ripe pears cored and chunked.
1-2 cups of water.
2 lemons, juiced.
A 1-2 inch piece of ginger root peeled and sliced.
5 kale or medium size silverbeet leaves, rinsed and torn.
5 dark green lettuce leaves, spinach leaves or another dark green leafy vegetable.
1 cup of coarsely chopped cabbage (optional but recommended).
1-2 kiwi fruit – especially if you have a tendency to sluggish bowel habits.
1 handful of fresh parsley or mint leaves – highly recommended if there is a kidney weakness or bloating and gas.
2-3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds for superb fibre and omega 3.
1/2 cup frozen or fresh berries.
- Place the apple chunks, pear chunks, water and lemon juice into a Vitamix blender or a blender fitted with a sharp blade. Blend til smooth and creamy.
- Add the ginger, kale, greens, herbs, kiwi, berries etc… and blend again. Add more water for a thinner smoothie if desired.
- Blend the lot on “high” until smooth.
- You can now taste test it. If it is too “lettucy” for you, add another pear and blend again. Add more water if required.
- Have fun playing with the flavours and come up with your own favourite recipe combinations. Let us know if you develop a wonderful combo and we may share it on this page!