Please note: A number of other websites refer to using bentonite clay. Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our clay is stronger in its action than a lot of other clays, different in its texture and the way it behaves. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products.
This guideline has been written by our practitioner Sarah Beesley to provide a comprehensive approach. The best result is gained when the whole guideline is followed. The following information is not intended to diagnose any condition or to replace the advice of your doctor.
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is an auto-immune skin condition which may sometimes also affect the joints and nails. The most common form is characterized by thick, red and silver scaly skin plaques that constantly shed dead skin. It is often itchy and can occur on any part of the skin surface.
An auto-immune condition is described in most literature as one where the immune system has confused a type of body cell – in this case the skin cells – with an infectious microbe and as a result, launches an inappropriate immune attack on that tissue. This view has recently been challenged in light of research being done in this area. It is known that there are big differences between healthy skin and psoriatic skin with the key differences being the abnormal migration of immune cells into the skin layers and an increase in blood vessels in the affected skin. The inflammatory chemicals generated by the immune system appear to interfere with the normal cell life cycle, so the skin cells multiply at an abnormal rate and are produced faster than the body can shed them. Research has also raised the likelihood that it is not the skin the immune system is attacking specifically, but rather a low grade chronic infection in the skin. In our experience this is often a fungal or yeast infection and we feel every person with Psoriasis needs to do a systemic fungal cleanup of their body. We have also found that the health of the gut, digestion, food intolerances and mineral balance play a huge role in normalizing the immune response. These are all covered in the guideline below.
The First Step
- We recommend using Purely Earth Clay baths to help with removing the scaly skin. These should be done every day for 10-14 days and then maintained at 1-2 baths per week or as needed. Start with 30 minutes each time. They help to reduce the inflammation, the acid waste level in the skin and to remove the scales. To find out how to make and use a clay bath Click Here.
- Localised packing with clay can also be very helpful on particularly troublesome areas and will help broken skin to heal. For how to make and use a clay pack Click Here.
- Use Purely Earth Vitamin E Cream after using the clay and as a daily moisturiser. This is a non-chemical natural cream that nourishes and feeds the skin and will help to soothe and heal any stressed areas of the skin surface.
Improving Digestion, pH and Providing Essential Nutrients
- Purely Earth Essential Detox Minerals are in our opinion, invaluable alongside the clay. They are a unique ionic mineral formulation which provides all of the most commonly deficient minerals required to run the digestive enzymes and liver enzymes in a highly bio-available form. Use 2 ml of the liquid per day for adults and 1 drop per kilo of body weight for children under 10. Put into water or diluted juice.
- We recommend you get a Metal and Mineral Test done. We can’t emphasise enough the importance of this because the correct balance of zinc to copper, copper to molybdenum, calcium to magnesium and magnesium to sodium and potassium are all essential for improving the immune function and the pH of the body for people with Psoriasis. This test shows clearly the mineral status of the body and where there may be problems with the mineral levels and ratios.
- Use Orac Protein and Greens Powder at 1-2 scoops daily mixed into vegetable juice or a smoothie. This is an exceptional super food powder that carries the equivalent of 12 servings of fruit and vegetables in each scoop and is the best way to substantially increase the levels of antioxidants and proteins available to support the healing processes. It is vegetarian-friendly and is dairy and gluten free.
- Use our Medicine Chest Smoothie to lift nutrient levels.
- Address any signs of weak digestion such as reflux, bloating, gas and indigestion. This is important and may be done by using Betaine HCL or 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar (ACV) in water before each meal and increases the uptake of minerals through the digestive system. For those with a history of ulcers or who are using antacid medications, we recommend an appointment with our practitioner Sarah before you try Betaine.
- Eat lots of green and colourful vegetables and a good quality protein at least 2 times a day. We do not recommend protein-deficient diets because protein is an essential nutrient required for repair, digestion and detoxification. If you choose to go vegetarian, get some good advice about how to get adequate protein within your diet changes. The World Health Organisation Standard is 1 gm of protein value per kilo of body weight. This means a 60 kg person requires a minimum of 60 gm of protein value per day in their diet. A palm size piece of fish for example, contains around 25 gm of protein content.
- Avoid food that comes in packets. Eat food that is as close to its natural form as possible. This means it contains more nutrients and less added toxins and a better resource base for your body to use.
- Avoid alcohol and sugary foods or beverages. These usually make the Psoriasis worse.
- Get your Vitamin D levels checked and supplement if required. This is frequently low in people with Psoriasis and is required to help regulate the immune responses.
- Take activated B vitamins to support digestive enzyme function.
- Use 1500 – 2000 mg of liposomal Vitamin C daily.
- Use a quality fish oil at 3000 mg of active omega 3 fatty acids minimum and reduce the amount of vegetable oil and saturated fat in your diet. 1-2 Tbsp daily of hempseed oil may be helpful here.
- Make sure you drink adequate water. Your body needs this to make digestive juices and to clear acidic wastes.
- Include a small amount of Celtic or Maldon salt as part of your diet. Your body needs the chloride it provides to make digestive juices. Do not use table salt – it is high in aluminium and is lacking in trace minerals.
Helping the Immune System Out
- Remove inflammatory foods. In our experience it is essential to get our Food and Chemical Sensitivity Test done to help to identify any foods or food chemicals which may be aggravating your immune system. This test will also help to establish whether there is a Candida infection present.
- Address Candida over-growth if indicated.
It is strongly advised that you do a month of using the above before doing any bacterial or fungal cleanses.
Addressing Bacterial and Fungal or Yeast Infections
- Please ensure your bowel is moving every day before you start. Seek help from our practitioner Sarah or another experienced practitioner to achieve this if necessary.
- Bacteria, yeasts and fungi generally form sticky “bio-films” in the body which serve as part of their protection mechanism. Breaking the bio-films is essential because this is where the bacteria, yeasts and fungi will hide and breed and their waste products place more stress on the clean up organs in the body. Breaking the bio-film means a cleanup will be more effective. We recommend using Purely Earth Diatomaceous Earth at 1 generous tsp in water last thing at night during the cleanse process.
- To address bacterial imbalances in the gut use Dr. Wilson’s Body Guard at 15 drops 4 x daily in water away from food. Do this for 3 weeks.
- Use Dr. Wilson’s Squeaky Clean at 1-2 caps daily with food to repopulate the gut with the right bugs and to sweep the gut lining clean.
- Once the bacterial cleanup is done, address the fungal and yeast infections systemically. Use a chitin inhibitor such as Fungal Stop. This part of the process is essential and should be done under the supervision of a qualified practitioner who is familiar with the use of chitin inhibitors, such as Sarah.
- Psoriasis is a highly oxidative condition. We recommend the use of Liver Detoxifier and Regenerator to increase the levels of Glutathione which is highly protective and which is usually depleted in this condition.
Extreme Psoriasis can be life threatening. If you have any doubts about the severity of your condition please contact your doctor.
Do not underestimate the effects of stress on your body. This can be stress due to a chronic inflammatory condition (think pain, tenderness, redness, swelling or aching), being over-busy, not breathing properly, eating foods that cause you problems, a lack of sleep, dehydration, infection, loneliness, or feeling emotionally vulnerable or unsupported.
Take Steps to Nourish Yourself
- Assess what must stay in your life and what can go.
- Assess whether the things that you think must stay, nourish you or deplete you and reassess if necessary.
- Provide a quiet space in every day that does not involve electrical devices. This allows your nervous system time to unwind.
- Seek out things, animals or people that make you laugh.
- Eat mainly food that does not come in a packet. Nature knows best how to provide balance; manufactured food does not.
- Eat regularly through the day and make good food a priority, not an inconvenience to be squeezed in amongst other activities.
- Avoid inflammatory foods – things you know you are intolerant to, or which make you feel sluggish, moody, affect your bowel or cause flare-ups of a health condition.
- Move your body without the exercise stressing it further. Exercise in a way that makes you feel good, not tired. Increase the exercise level gradually as your energy level builds.
- BREATHE DEEP. Breathing deep sends a signal to your body that you are safe. Shallow or fast breathing does the opposite. Your stress glands and nervous system will respond accordingly.
- Go to sleep before 10 pm and get up before 7 am. Your body clock requires this of you even if your head says otherwise. 1 hour of sleep prior to 12 am is worth 2 hours after 12 am in terms of the rest it provides. Avoid interaction with electrical devices (phones, computers, TV, play station, X Box, iPad, iPod and the like) for 1 hour prior to sleep and remove as many electrical devices from your bedroom as you can. DO NOT sleep with a light on and cover all digital light displays in your room, or even better, remove them.
Toxicity and Why it is Often the Start of the Breakdown
Mercury, excess copper ,cadmium and some chemicals will cause disruption to stomach acid production because they block the correct use of zinc, B1 and B6, so even if you take these as supplements they may not work as well as they should. When zinc, B1 or B6 is low or blocked, stomach acid will be low which will then affect the release of digestive enzymes from the pancreas and bile from the liver. This results in poor digestion throughout the gastro-tract and less efficient clearance of toxins through the production and release of bile from the liver.
When insufficient stomach acid and enzymes are produced, the minerals required for healthy digestion are not absorbed as well, food is not digested properly and can start to ferment and putrefy in the stomach and digestive tract. The resulting fermentation and putrefaction can cause symptoms such as food intolerances, indigestion, reflux, irritable bowel, bloating and gas due to an overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria and yeasts in the intestinal tract. These can then cause inflammatory responses, increased permeability of the intestinal walls and abnormal immune function which may then lead to a myriad of complaints including skin conditions, hay fever, aches and pains, oestrogen dominant hormonal conditions such as fibroids and endometriosis, an overloaded detoxification system, food and chemical sensitivities, acne, eczema, asthma, erratic bowel function, lowered immunity, yeast infections outside of the gastro-tract, mood imbalances, headaches, brain fog and fatigue.
If the above treatment outline does not clear the problem for you, we recommend you contact our practitioner Sarah to help you further.
For more details about working with Sarah, go to www.selfhealclinic.co.nz.
Using the above protocol may result in a reduced need for medication you may be using. We advise that appropriate monitoring be put in place. For example; if you have high blood pressure which is being controlled through mediation, get a cheap blood pressure cuff and monitor any changes at home. If your blood pressure drops, ask your doctor to reduce your medication accordingly. If you are on thyroid medication or cholesterol lowering medication, get your blood levels tested regularly.
© Purely Earth Ltd. This document may be copied and used as a patient handout in its entirety but is not to be replicated on any other websites or publishing media either in full or part without our permission.