Please note: A number of other websites refer to using bentonite clay. Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our clay is stronger in its action than a lot of other clays, different in its texture and the way it behaves. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products.
This guideline has been written by our practitioner Sarah Beesley (MHD Hons) to provide a comprehensive approach. The best result is gained when the whole guideline is followed.
The following information is not intended to diagnose any condition or to replace the advice of your doctor.
What are Hives?
Hives are red bumps on the skin caused by histamine occurring in the skin as a result of an exposure to an allergen. Allergens can be chemicals, foods or environmental substances such as dust, cat fur or pollen. Hives are usually itchy and can become infected if the tops are scratched off.
Purely Earth Healing Clay helps to reduce the histamine level in the skin, even in cases where anti-histamine medications are not effective.
How to Reduce the Itching
- For conditions which cover most of the body, clay baths are best. Baths can be used safely at 20 – 30 minutes with children who are 3 months and older. For newborns, use a maximum of 10 minutes. For adults we recommend a 30 – 60 minute bath. For how to make and use a clay bath Click Here
- Always follow with Purely Earth Vitamin E Cream. This is a non-chemical natural cream that nourishes and feeds the skin and will help to soothe and heal any stressed areas of the skin surface.
- For the worst areas or areas which are not healing, localised packing can be helpful alongside the baths. Start with packing for 1-2 hours a day for 10-14 days. If you feel you want to try leaving it on for longer, do so and see how it goes. For how to make and use a clay pack Click Here
- For adults, using clay internally can be tremendously helpful too, as it helps to remove some of the toxin load internally.
- In all cases of hives Vitamin C is required because Vitamin C is used by the body to control histamine levels.
Looking Beyond the Surface
You must treat more than the skin. Behind every case of hives there will usually be a weakened digestive system, an acidic waste load that is not being cleared properly and a deficiency of, or imbalance in the nutrients that allow the digestive, immune and detox systems to operate correctly. Secondary bacterial and fungal infections are often a problem where hives have been scratched open but thrive only because the “soil” is right for their growth. This is where practitioner help can be valuable. For more details about working with our practitioner Sarah, go to www.selfhealclinic.co.nz.
Find the Cause
- Use our Food and Chemical Sensitivity Test to assist with identifying and removing inflammatory foods and substances. In our experience this is a must where there are repeated hives.
Do not underestimate the effects of stress on your body. This can be stress due to a chronic inflammatory condition (think pain, tenderness, redness, swelling or aching), being over-busy, not breathing properly, eating foods that cause you problems, a lack of sleep, dehydration, infection, loneliness, or feeling emotionally vulnerable or unsupported. Stress suppresses the immune system which is why many people get a flare-up of cold sores when they are stressed and run down.
Take Steps to Nourish Yourself
- Assess what must stay in your life and what can go.
- Assess whether the things that you think must stay, nourish you or deplete you and reassess if necessary.
- Provide a quiet space in every day that does not involve electrical devices. This allows your nervous system time to unwind.
- Seek out things, animals or people that make you laugh.
- Eat mainly food that does not come in a packet. Nature knows best how to provide balance; manufactured food does not.
- Eat regularly through the day and make good food a priority, not an inconvenience to be squeezed in amongst other activities.
- Avoid inflammatory foods – things you know you are intolerant to, or which make you feel sluggish, moody, affect your bowel or cause flare-ups of a health condition.
- Move your body without the exercise stressing it further. Exercise in a way that makes you feel good, not tired. Increase the exercise level gradually as your energy level builds.
- BREATHE DEEP. Breathing deep sends a signal to your body that you are safe. Shallow or fast breathing does the opposite. Your stress glands and nervous system will respond accordingly. Shallow breathing changes the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood and this will increase the levels of histamine.
- Go to sleep before 10 pm and get up before 7 am. Your body clock requires this of you even if your head says otherwise. 1 hour of sleep prior to 12 am is worth 2 hours after 12 am in terms of the rest it provides. Avoid interaction with electrical devices (phones, computers, TV, play station, X Box, iPad, iPod and the like) for 1 hour prior to sleep and remove as many electrical devices from your bedroom as you can. DO NOT sleep with a light on and cover all digital light displays in your room, or even better, remove them.
Using the above information may result in a reduced need for medication due to improved nutrition. We advise that appropriate monitoring be put in place. For example: If you have high blood pressure which is being controlled through mediation, get a cheap blood pressure cuff and monitor any changes at home. If your blood pressure drops, ask your doctor to reduce your medication accordingly. If you are on thyroid medication or cholesterol lowering medication, get your blood levels tested regularly.
© Purely Earth Ltd. This document may be copied and used as a patient handout in its entirety but is not to be replicated on any other websites or publishing media either in full or part without our permission.