Please note: A number of other websites refer to using Diatomaceous Earth (DE). Please DO NOT substitute their guidelines or product for ours. Our guidelines are designed to work with our products. Because of legislative issues we cannot refer to using D E specifically for human consumption nor as an insecticide. The following guidelines are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor.
DO NOT use DE internally with 2 legged mammals with Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis or internal ulcers. In these instances, we recommend the use of Purely Earth Clay instead and that this should be carried out under the supervision of a practitioner.
For internal use with any mammal, Diatomaceous Earth MUST be a food grade product. This ensures the product is contaminant free and that it is milled to the correct consistency. Purely Earth Diatomaceous Earth is one of the highest food grade products available.
Like all new introductions exercise caution and introduce slowly, increasing dosages gradually over time until reaching the desired level. As individuals, environments and situations are all unique we recommend considered fine tuning to achieve maximum benefit.
For information on Purely Earth Diatomaceous Earth and how it works Click Here
All parasitic worms have a lifecycle which involves them returning to or staying in the gut of the host. In our experience, DE must be used for 2-3 months intially and then we advise doing DE daily for 1 week out of every 4 as maintenance, especially where there is contact with small children, animals or soil on a regular basis. Pharmaceutical worming products generally kill only the parasites that they come into immediate contact with and are usually targeted at a narrow range of worm species. Many parasite species leave the gut as part of their lifecycle which leaves larvae and eggs elsewhere to continue the infection. Using DE will generally improve the gut environment when used as directed and in our experience is an excellent way of keeping worm populations down. We have seen test results taken before and after for infected animals and birds and have seen results come back clear after DE use.
- For small 2 legged mammals, use 1 rounded tsp of powder into water or diluted juice last thing at night. For larger 2 legged mammals start with a rounded tsp for 2-3 days and then increase to 1 heaping tsp. Do every night for 2-3 months. Then reduce to 1 week in every 2 – 4 weeks for maintenance depending on the rate of reinfection. For stubborn or large infestations the doses may need to be doubled.
- For 2 legged mammals Diatomaceous Earth works best when combined with anti-parasitic herbal tinctures such as Black Walnut and Wormwood.
- For cats or small dogs mix 1 tsp into wet food. If using dry food, sprinkle through the food and ensure good access to water.
- For kittens use a 1/2 tsp into the above.
- For medium domestic animals use 1 Tbsp into the above.
- For larger domestic animals use 1-2 Tbsp into the above.
- For horses, ponies and donkeys, mix 1/2 to 1 cup into the daily feed ration.
- Cattle, dairy cows, goats, sheep, alpacas, Llamas and pigs, use at a rate of 2% of dry feed ration per day.
- Chickens, quail, turkeys and pheasant, use 5% mixed into daily feed ration.
DE works on nits by dehydrating their eggs, larvae and adults.
- Cut the hair short if you can and are willing to do so. If not, it will just take more effort to get the DE on to the scalp.
- Put the DE into a jam jar with holes punched in the lid.
- During the day, take the small 2 legged mammal outside and give them a cloth to cover their face. Get them to keep their face down. Put a towel around the shoulders to stop DE getting on to the clothing.
- Run your fingers through the hair, lifting it in layers and shake the DE into the hair at the root as you go.
- Use your fingers to work the DE into the scalp area.
- Fluff the loose DE out of the hair until it stops creating an obvious dust cloud when moved.
- Leave in all day. Shampoo out before bed and repeat daily until the infestation has gone.
- For chickens, put DE into the nesting boxes and in their favourite dust bath areas. Use in their feed as well.
- For livestock, put DE in an area where they can roll in it.
Removing Ant Trails
- Sprinkle DE on the existing trails, entry and exit points and in areas you do not want ants to go. It will encourage them to go elsewhere.
Deterring Slugs and Insects
- Use as a powder on the ground around slug-susceptible plants.
- Make into a spray using 1 part DE and 3-4 parts water with a dash of detergent and spray on to plants. This will kill the eggs, larvae and adult insects it comes into contact with by dehydrating them as it dries. You can add Neem oil and other natural insecticides as well if you want to.
Improving Soil and Plant Health
- Use DE topically on the soil at a rate of 1-2.5 kg per acre to supply silica and trace elements for the soil. This will increase plant resistance and nutritive value.
© Purely Earth Ltd. This document may be copied and used as a patient handout in its entirety but is not to be replicated on any other websites or publishing media either in full or part without our permission.